School choice programs vary widely. Here are seven key categories for school choice programs:
- What is the SCOPE? (with a section of a community, in a metropolitan area, across district boundaries, etc).
- What are the STANDARDS? What standards are participating schools held to?
- Which SCHOOLS are involved/are eligible to participate? Magnet? District? Private, parochial, higher ed, etc.
- Which STUDENTS can participate? All students? At risk students, using specific categories? Students who can pass a standardized test or some form of audition?
- What level of public SUPPORT is provided – Do participating schools receive equal funds to other public schools in the state?
- What SITE is used? “Bricks and mortor K-12 facility, higher education facility? On-line?
- What STAFF/FACULTY are allowed to participate in the instructional process? Must they be licensed? Must some percentage be licensed? Can they be college faculty?