- Summary of State Policies 2013. This paper summarizes a 2013 survey about virtual charter schools in 42 states and the District of Columbia. The survey was carried out to answer three questions that state policy-makers, educators, parents and other people have asked. 1. Do states that permit charter public schools also permit virtual charter public schools? 2. In states where the answer to the first question is “yes,” do virtual charters receive the same per pupil funds from the state as “bricks and mortar” charter public schools? 3. In states that permit virtual charters but fund them differently than bricks and mortar charter schools, what are the broad outlines of the funding system for virtual charters?
- Progress and Possibilities: Trends in Public High School Student Participation with Minnesota’s Dual Credit Programs 2006-2012. This report shows progress and possibilities as the authors ask and answer three key questions. First, what is the value of Dual (highschool/college) Credit courses? Second, what has happened over the last five years with Minnesota student participation rates in various forms of Dual Credit? Finally, what might be done to encourage more participation in these courses?
- Charter Schools Brochure, Minneapolis/St Paul 2011
- Achieving Excellence at Scale: State Support for High-Performing Charter School Expansion 2009
This is a 2009 issue brief written by the NGA Center for Best Practices and CSC about what states can to to help expand high performing charter public schools.
- St. Paul Gates Project Here is the final report for this project.
- Stretching Minds and Resources: 20 Years of Post Secondary Enrollment Options in Minnesota 2005
- What Really Happened? Minnesota’s Experience with Statewide Public School Choice Programs 2002
A major new study of Minnesota’s Public School Choice Laws, conducted by Penn State University and University of Minnesota educators, reveals important and sometimes surprising developments that could have national implications. The two-year study examined Minnesota’s Post-Secondary Options, open enrollment, Second Chance and charter schools.
- How Level A Playing Field-The Search for Equity in Charter School Funding 1998
- Making A Difference? Charter Schools, Evaluation and Student Performance 1998
Examines the questions: How are charter schools assessing student achievement? What are charter schools doing to meet accountability requirements? Are charter schools improving student achievement? Thirty-one charter schools in eight states were interviewed. Twenty-one charter schools in the sample have administered at least two rounds of the same test and appear to be making academic gains. This report summarizes the success of these 21 schools. It also discusses the methods used to assess student achievement and other aspects of accountability such as student behavior and attitudes, parental involvement and school climate.
- Charter Schools: What are they up to? 1995
Survey of 110 charter public schools in seven states. The report found that charter school officials’ “number one” request of policymakers is that charter schools be given real autonomy in exchange for their responsibility to improve education. The report also describes lessons learned so far by charter schools, including advice officials would give to policymakers and people considering establishing a charter school.
- Charter Public Schools – A Brief History and Preliminary Lessons 1994
- Facts, Figures and Faces: A Look at Minnesota’s School Choice Programs 1993
- Expanding the Circle: Charter Schools and the News Media
- FINAL Charter-K-12-Enrollment-Trends-2012