Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (English y Español)


What is Dual High School/College Credit?

Dual High School/College Credit programs allow eligible high school students to take college level classes at their high school, online, or on college campuses, while still enrolled in high school.  Students have the opportunity to receive both high school and college/university credit for college-level courses that they take and can graduate high school on time, with transferable college credits. The state of Minnesota pays for dual credit programming, so there is little or no cost to students or their families.  Dual Credit options include: PSEO (Post-Secondary Enrollment Options), Concurrent Enrollment (College in the Schools), AP (Advanced Placement), IB (International Baccalaureate), and Project Lead the Way.


Who is eligible for Dual Credit programs?

9th – 12th graders in any public, nonpublic, home school or tribal school are eligible for various programs.  Students must be accepted into the college-level class in their high school or by a post-secondary institution.  Eligible 11th and 12th graders may enroll either full of part-time in nonsectarian courses or programs at postsecondary institutions.  Eligible 10th graders can take Career/Technical Education courses (CTE) on a college campus.


Do I have to pay to participate in any of the dual credit programs?

NO–these dual credit programs are free and available to all eligible students!


Can I take classes online?

YES– many dual credit programs offer online classes as an option. Check with your high school counselor and the college or university.


Why should high school students participate in Dual Credit programs?

Lots of reasons!…..

  • Get a jump start on your future: earn college credits while still in high school!
  • Try courses at the college level to make sure you are prepared for college!
  • Save money:  get free college credits that can help you graduate college early!
  • Save time:  you’ll be able to enter college with some or many credits already completed!
  • Find the right program for you – community college, technical school, or university – any one of them will bring you a brighter future!

“Advance Placement classes helped me prepare for college because it gave me confidence that I could take on any future challenges.  Also, being in those classes helped me understand what a college environment would be like before I was there.  Being AP classes also helped me decide what major I wanted to go into.  After taking AP Psychology, I realized how interesting the topic was and I wanted to learn as much as possible about Psychology.”

“Not only do I save money by doing this, but I have opportunities given to me early that I never would have gotten at the high school. I’ve learned more about what I want to do with myself in the future and where I’m going to take my life. I’ve set long term goals and have created plans that I look forward to.”  –Michelle Tran, Wayzata High School, Wayzata, Minnesota


How do I find out more information?

  • Talk to your high school counselor and teachers – see what programs are offered at your school.
  • Visit the MN Department of Education’s College and Career Readiness website:
  • Visit the Center for School Change’s Dual Credit website to watch YouTube videos and hear about other students’ experiences in these programs: Videos are in English, Spanish, Somali, Hmong, Arabic, or Karen.

“My advice to prospective students would be to decide early on whether or not they really want to join…”

“During my sophomore year, I visited my counselor multiple times throughout the school year to find out more about PSEO requirements and how to get into a college with PSEO credits.  I learned from my visits with my counselor that each college had different requirements for PSEO students. Without the help of a high school counselor, I wouldn’t be able to take part in this program and begin my college plan.”


Who else can I contact?

First, check with your high school counselor and make sure you are able to fulfill all of your high school graduation requirements. For more information, contact:

The Minnesota Department of Education: 651-582-8768,

The Center for School Change: 651-645-1000 ext. 168,




¿Qué es Doble Crédito para la Escuela Secundaria/la Universidad?

Los programas de Doble Crédito se permiten estudiantes calificados de las escuelas secundarias (high school) a tomar clases al nivel de estudio superior de institutos universitarios mientras continúan matriculados en las escuelas secundarias. Se puede tomar clases universitarias en su escuela secundaria, por el internet, o en el campus universitario.  El Estado de Minnesota cubre los gastos. Los estudiantes tienen la oportunidad de recibir crédito universitario al mismo tiempo de graduar de la escuela secundaria.  Los programas incluyen: PSEO (Opciones para Inscripciones en Estudios Superiores), Inscripción Concurrente (como College in the Schools), AP (Inscripción Avanzada), IB (Bachillerato Internacional), y Project Lead the Way.


¿Quién es elegible para los programas de Doble Crédito?

Estudiantes de los grados 9 a 12 de escuelas publicas o privadas, de educación en el hogar o de escuelas tribales, son elegibles para varios programas. Hay que ser aceptados por las clases avanzadas de su escuela secundaria o por una universidad.  Los estudiantes elegibles de 11 o 12 pueden tomar clases en el campus universitario a tiempo completo o parcial. Los estudiantes elegibles de 10 pueden tomar clases profesionales y técnicas (Career/Technical Education, CTE) en un campus universitario.


¿Tengo que pagar para estos programas?

NO! — Estos programas son gratis y todos quien son elegibles pueden participar!


¿Puedo tomar clases por el internet?

 Si! — muchos de los programas del doble credito ofrecen la opcion de tomar clases por el internet.  Pregunte a su consejero/a y a los colegios o universidades.


¿Por qué deben participar los estudiantes de la escuela secundaria en Doble Crédito?

¡Por muchas razones!…

  • Para poner en marcha su futuro: adquiera créditos de educación superior mientras continua sus estudios en la escuela secundaria.
  • Para aprender más sobre las instituciones de educación superior y asegurarse que este listo/a para entrar en la educación post-secundaria
  • Para ahorrar dinero: recibe créditos universitarios gratis que le permitirán graduarse temprano
  • Para ahorrar tiempo: podrá entrar a la institución de estudios superiores con algunos o muchos créditos ya completados.
  • Encuentre el programa para ti – community college, escuela técnica o la universidad – cualquier le dan un futuro mas brillante!


¿Cómo puedo encontrar mas información?

  • Habla con su consejero escolar y sus maestros/as – ¿Cual programas ya tiene en su escuela?
  • Visita el sitio del web del Departamento Educativo de MN, Doble Crédito:
  • Visita el sitio del web del Centro para Cambios en Escuelas acerca de Doble Crédito para mirar videos del YouTube de estos programas:

Los videos están en ingles, español, somalí, hmong, árabe y karen.


¿Con quien puedo hablar?

Hable primero con su consejero de la escuela secundaria y asegúrese de que puede cumplir con todos los requisitos de graduación de su escuela.   También, pregunte:

El Departamento de Educación de Minnesota: 651-582-8768,  

Center for School Change:   651-645-1000 ext. 168,